In the state of New York, ELL enrollment was 237,499 students in the state public school system in 2012-2013, making up over 14% of the classroom population. 61% of all ELL students in the state speak Spanish, with Chinese, Arabic, Bengali, and Haitian representing the next four most common spoken languages at 19% combined.
State of New York Informational Resources:
- New York State Education Department: http://www.nysed.gov/
- New York City Department of Education: http://schools.nyc.gov/default.htm
- ELL Support Page: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/biling/
- ELL Assessment and Testing: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/biling/bilinged/assessment.html
- ELL Regional Bilingual Education Resource Network Directory: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/biling/bilinged/betac.html
- Title III Information: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/biling/NEWTIII.html
Educational Programs and Learning Resources:
- EngageNY New York State Bilingual Common Core Initiative – This site explains all of the standards set forth by the NY State Education Department for ELL learning assessments as they relate to Common Core: https://www.engageny.org/resource/new-york-state-bilingual-common-core-initiative
- ELL Family Resources: Handbooks available in nine different languages for ELLs and their parents to better navigate the New York Public School system and start planning for college: http://schools.nyc.gov/Academics/ELL/FamilyResources/hs+college+handbook.htm
- NYSTESOL – The coalition of New York education professionals and policymakers devoted to the effective development of school curriculum for ELLs of grades K-12 in public and private schools: http://www.nystesol.org/
- The Latino Family Literacy Project Webinar Training: https://www.latinoliteracy.com/webinars/
- Family Phonics Workbooks: An English vocabulary program for parents and children learning English that uses a simple method to teach parents strong English vocabulary and proper pronunciation through the use of phonics: https://www.lecturabooks.com/family-phonics-workbooks/
- The House of Literacy Book Sets – Available in Pre-School and Elementary levels, these collections contain a set of six books each, designed to help parents of ELLs read to their children in Spanish while providing an outlet through which to practice and improve English vocabulary as well. These sets encourage parental involvement in the English Language education of their children: https://www.lecturabooks.com/product/house-of-literacy-preschool-collection/ or https://www.lecturabooks.com/product/house-literacy-elementary-collection/
If your school could benefit from an ELL program, Lectura Books offers award-winning bilingual books that can be used as a great teaching tool for English Learners. If you’re interested in viewing a preview of some of the books offered by Lectura Books, visit their Youtube page.